AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

duishay
Posted 8/19/2007 17:58 (#189756 - in reply to #189753)
Subject: RE: Rent vs own

SE Nebraska
wheat farmer - 8/19/2007 16:28

" Maybe the younger farmers will just need to sit and wait.

Yeah but how long. I started 7 yrs ago and all land has done is gone up up up. If i wait too long I'll no longer be the next generation. I graduated high school in a class of 22. Then on to college. Of my HS class I am the only one that is currently farming. I can also think of only 2 people in the 3 classes below me that are trying to make a go of it.

I pulled this off of the Economic research service web site. http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/FarmStructure/Questions/aging.htm

Q. How does the age of farmers differ from that of other members of the labor force?
A. The average age of farmers in 1997 was 54.3 years. The proportion of farmers age 55 and over rose from 37 percent in 1954 to 61 percent in 1997.

While U.S. agriculture has long been characterized by a larger share of older operators, the future of farming in America depends on continued entry by new farm operators. However, the share of farmers younger than 35 declined from 15 percent in 1954 to 8 percent in 1997.

I believe that government subsidies hurt new farmers rather than help them. I know of several large farmers around me that buy a farm every year basically by using their subsidy payments for the large portion of the cost. With the price of land today I can not sharpen my pencil enough to make a land purchase work.

While I agree with wheat farmer that younger farmers need to "sit and wait." I often wonder if there will be enough "young farmers" left to take on the acres that will come from retirement of the generations before us.

JMO

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)