AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

eddiedry
Posted 8/18/2007 16:13 (#189301 - in reply to #189171)
Subject: Steve,

Wheatley, Arkansas
I admire what you are doing in SD, but it is a whole nother story in the Delta where I farm. There is no way one man could farm 1000 ac by himself. I farm several thousand ac. in AR. and between 2 combines, 2 cotton pickers, 1 tractor baling hay, 4 separate granaries , 38 irrigation power units, 46 electric wells, 2 center pivots, and 38 miles of poly pipe, scattered out over 12 miles in 4 counties, where you are always less than 10 days from a drought, growing very labor intensive crops like cotton and rice, with corn, beans, wheat , and grass in the mix there is no way five men can tend to just the bare necessities on the farm. Now throw in seed production and the work involved in rouging and inspecting crops, marketing those crops, transporting those crops and meeting the needs of employees and family there is little time left for me to be a farm worker, although I really enjoy farm work and drive tractors and trucks when I can. I am a business man pure and simple, I take what the government gives me {playing by their rules}, I take what the market gives me {playing by their rules}. I make a living doing this, I would make a living without Gov. help, but I'm not going to refuse their money. I do ride around in a Jeep more than I drive farm equipment but I have 14 men I am responsible for. I am proud of these men and the work they do. I pay my help very well, furnish some housing, utilities and trucks. I am not greedy or trying to hog up all the land around me, every acre that I rent, came my way by the landowner coming to me. If the guys farming in this area didn't grow and get bigger there would be land laying out. I don't hear anyone in my area lamenting the fact they can't find land to farm. If 500 works for people in certain areas, good. If 10-20000 works for some, good. When people belly ache about BTO's it all depends on where you are as to what is a BTO. We have guys around here that farm 20-50000 ac. and I am proud for them, I would say the average in our area is 2500-3500 ac. some more some less. Gota go check on my guys or I'd keep going.

Les, proud to be a farmer: in AR where it takes more man hours to farm an acre than some places do.

Edited by eddiedry 8/18/2007 18:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)