AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 8/18/2007 08:57 (#189136 - in reply to #189082)
Subject: RE: rent, economies of size, and government payments

Good points Terry. However, I'm not sure government payments are the big driver for farm size one way or the other. I'm in that just over hobby size at 700 acres (depending on which magazine you read - some think 1500 acres is a hobby). Government payments have certainly helped us considerably and I'm sure help the larger farms as well - especially in tough times. We put up hog barns to avoid fighting to cash rent more ground. Also, not being Morman, I have trouble marrying enough daughters to gain ground as well.

Certainly machinery improvements allow one guy to do what 10 did before, but the economies of scale start running out in the 1500-2000 acre range - there still has to be a tractor on that ground at close the right time in the spring and there isn't a 100 acre/hour combine available (yet). So, it still takes more machinery to farm more ground.

That being said, I think the real culprit in farm consolidation is profit margin and risk adversity. Farming is no longer a find a program that works and stick with it - you are constantly evaluating methods and programs (seed, chemical, fertilizer, financial, etc) to maintain profitability. With continually higher input costs the margins are getting tighter (especially if the promised large yield does not materialize). Also, to grow we face rental agreements that put more and more risk on the producer (higher rents, less than 50/50 leases, etc). So, faced with more 'pencil work', tighter margins and higher risk the type of person willing to farm has changed from the "I can't do anything else, so I'll farm" to "If I play my cards right I might get to farm". Many of the more mature farm operations have little debt and sufficient capital to weather most of the problems that come up, but don't necessarily have a next generation willing to step in (plus much of the accumulated capital is supposed to pay for retirement).

Therefore, some highly risk 'insensitive' folks find opportunity in low profit/high risk and go for it. They tend to be a different set of folks every few years, so I don't see it as how farming will be long term. I don't see us all trying to farm 20K acres, but most will grow or have other enterprises and all will of us will have to deal with more risk (and maybe less fun?) no matter what the government program is.

On a side note, the concept of farming everything at any cost doesn't make much sense to me even if you get your picture on a magazine. I don't think any farm program can support a fully leveraged day trading approach to farming either. We will all have to deal with more risk (or pay a lot for someone else to take our risk), but I don't think we will be required to go the extreme that some do.

My 2 cents,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)