AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Steve in SD
Posted 8/18/2007 09:50 (#189171 - in reply to #189152)
Subject: Re: rent, economies of size, and government payments

Northville, SD
Ok I am just going to tell my story. I farm 8,000 acres. I run a very lean operation. I hire no help. If the 9/16th wrench is lost in the shop I lost it. If there is a dent in the side of the shed I did it, and my wife is always the one to remind of it. I do every thing my self, but what has made it possibel for me to get this large, and I don't think it is large, it is simply IRON. The machinery is so large, and I buy the biggest I can do so many acres in a day it is almost hard to believe. That is my equalizer. I don't need government payments. You don't have to believe me, I don't care if you believe me. Quite simply it boils down to just a few things management, and a huge passion to do it. Lets face it if you are to be successful without an outside job you have to have a huge passion for the life, and the passion will lead you to be a better manager-marketing, record keeping, decision making, and time management. Ask my banker. He knows every year I can go anywhere I want to. So how do I do it. And I was never given anything. In fact my elder peers told me every day of my life I couldn't farm and actually got mad when I was to expand. Now they admire me for my accomplishments. PASSION, management, and iron boys and the will to just find a way. I am sure I will get bombed on this one. You have to know when an opportunity is an opportunity and be willing to act. As far as I am concerned we don't need a department of Agriculture. I'd love it. My efficiencies would escalate. Ever wonder how many rules you have to follow to qualify for those government payments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)