AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Steve in SD
Posted 8/18/2007 20:48 (#189381 - in reply to #189297)
Subject: Re: rent, economies of size, and government payments

Northville, SD
OK has Paul Harvey would say here is the rest of the story. I live in what is the praire pot hole region. Lots of wetlands, sloughs etc. I actually farm 6000 acres of cropland, rent out 400 acres of pasture land, and the rest is wasteland. We used to rent the waste land to be put up for hay. Then we realized-and with a gun to my head by my wife -we should be using all of these sloughs/wetlands for hunting. Now we have a pretty nice income renting out the wasteland for hunting. My wife is a hunter and it is the highlight of her year. In addition I have been blessed and I mean blessed. My land is all in one block. So all of the moving and traveling you guys have to do I don't have to. You know what a time saver that is. I vary from 6 miles accross one way to 4 miles accross the other way. I have buried 7 old farmsteads taken out all of the fences which I would guess is well over 75 miles and I farm straight through raising corn, beans, and spring and winter wheat. Now that is being BLESSED. Why I got this blessing I don't know. I just hope I can repay someone for it some day. I don't own all of the land, but my relationship with landlords-well that would be telling and you probably wouldn't believe. it. Now back to the government programs. Being in the praire pothole region you are absolutely forbidden to alter the movement of any water, not even a with hand shovel, and boy could I make some economical changes if someone wasn't watching all of the time-especially those airal fly by pictures every year by Sam. I also no-til and with the help of Dwayne Beck from Dakota lakes research farm have learned lots of agronomic techneuqes. Don't get me wrong, Dwayne is a reasearcher and has to try all sorts of wierd things, but some have proven to be very productive. Actually I believe the time will come when it won't be called no-til but biological farming which is what it really is. My land improves every year, erosion decreases, soil microbe activity keeps increasing and wildlife is more than abundant and we all get along fine. As far as harvesting-you had bettter go back to a thread I started in the machinery forum. Must have created some interest. It has had over 17,000 hits. The thread is titled How many? You make the decision who does the harvest. I have found properly managed and that isn't so difficult.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)