AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/18/2007 19:16 (#189358 - in reply to #189323)
Subject: Why bigger?

Pittsburg, Kansas

I can't answer for everyone but I think there are at least a substantial number of larger farmers that do it for the challenge. I'm already pretty sure the last expansion I did was not the best economic move for me and it darn sure was not so I would have less headaches. For me I believe God has blessed me with a talent and I think he expects me to use that talent best I know how. For me to do less than I am capable - well I feel guilty and lazy. When we had the chance to expand two years ago my wife and I put a rudimentary pencil to it to see if it would work and then the question became " what if we don't do it?" Her answer to that is that I would always wonder and be thinking "I should have". She knew I would not be happy unless I tried. It involved more risk, more worry and probably no better return than what current passive investments were returning but it is just the nature of some of us - we got to try. Took us about 6 hours from the time we learned of the deal for us to consummate it.

I don't go out and try to rent ground away from my neighbor, I don't do unethical things to get ahead, but if something is up for grabs I will scrap with the rest of the heap. 

Not everyone is built that way and it's a good thing. Some people live for the challenge. It is just the nature of the beast.

John

Edited by John Burns 8/18/2007 19:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)