AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rent, economies of size, and government payments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkastens
Posted 8/18/2007 23:17 (#189444 - in reply to #189355)
Subject: RE: PE of farming

From 1951-2006, annual returns to the stockmarket have averaged 12.5% (i.e., 9.1% growth and 3.4% dividend). During the same time period annual returns to cropland in 39 states (the "ag" states) averaged 11.6% (i.e., 6.5% growth and 5.1% dividend -- rent). Average returns to non-land assets in farming are lower than land returns for the average farm. But, the top third of farms in Kansas (top third not selected each year but in a many-year setting) get non-land returns that are considerably higher than either land returns or stock market returns. Of course, once you talk about market timing (e.g., is today a good or bad time to invest?) for either the stock market or for farm land, all bets are off and anything goes. Generally, I don't care much about the timing issue since it is most difficult to do. That is, I view both stock market and land investments as something that should be long term, where highs and lows can average out over time. Put another way, ex post I can easily find time periods when one investment beat the heck out of the other. For example, during the 1960s and 1970s (a 20 year run), land returns were double those of stock market returns. Of course, it is easy to find opposite periods as well.

Terry Kastens, ag economics, Kansas State University
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)