AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Negativity towards dairy farming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dom
Posted 11/26/2011 17:13 (#2069274 - in reply to #2062089)
Subject: Re: Negativity towards dairy farming?

On the whole Mexican thing, I have worked off farm, on two large dairies that had mexican labor. Of the 11 hispanics I worked with, one was a legal authorized migrant worker. 4 were illegal immigrant costa ricans, the other 6 were illegal immigrant mexicans. Of the last 6, (of all 11, to be honest), there were 3 whom I am glad I have known. Real good guys. The rest were walking around worm food IMO. Good enough workers, but not good people. Returning recently to a former town employer part time, the joke was not lost on me when I was put with their new bunch of Mexicans (and one older fella who was employed there when I was previously). The old fella, Antonio, is a real good guy, devoted family man, hard worker, always upbeat and positive, etc. But three of the new guys all have his exact same name. Makes a guy wonder. Of those three, two are great workers like 'old' Antonio, one is just plain lazy (Antonio's son), and non of the three believe they need to speak english.

I do not believe there is a true need for the border hoppers legal or otherwise. Once the dairy gets large enough to harvest the economies of scale, they are making enough to pay honest wages and benefits. Small time operations, the ones I always like to see, they are the exception to that thought.

I do not type this as some citiot punk kid who hates an industry or mexicans. I type it as one of those hard working former dairy farm kids who has never had an employer say anything negative at all about how I work..... which when times got lean made it real easy to return to a former employer to make up hours lost at the night job.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)