AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Negativity towards dairy farming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 11/22/2011 11:53 (#2062379 - in reply to #2062311)
Subject: Got to agree with you Ben

Manitoba
There is enough to fight against without adding eachother to the equation. I live in the middle of what I call "no mans land" here (farms from 75 to about 350 - 400 milking). Too big to be small, too small to be big. Have to have each employee multi talented to cover multiple jobs, (almost impossible) or go to split shifts (not fun for anyone) and never able to have extra around for covering when someone does not show up or the fun of major holidays like Christmas. I know this sounds wrong but I have learned to hate Christmas (nothing with the real meaning of it, don't get me wrong) but that stretch between Christmas eve and January 3 is a nightmare. I see very clearly the advantage of the large dairies but particularely with regards to staffing and job specialization.

But particularly with regards to the labour thing. I was approved once to bring in 3 guys from south of the states. WOW, they are awesome and were paid the same as any Canadian initially and are were quickly making more. I estimate one of them is worth 1 1/2 to 2 of any locals. Just an example, in 2 years I was allowed to have them, the 3 guys I had never once did not show up and only one once slept in, he was horrified he had done it, I had to laugh at him. I've had to send them home on accasion when they were so sick they never should have come in. Attitude towards the work is great, difference is night and day.

Edited by Oakwood 11/22/2011 12:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)