AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Owning sprayer vs hiring it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 7/3/2022 09:21 (#9731756 - in reply to #9731068)
Subject: RE: Owning sprayer vs hiring it

Amherst WI
I would say it depends....

"Here" we have a couple guys that do custom spraying. They are reasonable and do an excellent job but are hard to get and they already have their client list full.

We also have a couple more that do a so-so job and another that likes to stay 15 feet away from any boundry and has more skips than that Dixie Chicks CD stuck in your 1998 Silverado.

The Coop seems to put anyone with a pulse in a $600,000 sprayer, two years in a row I have seen some rookie mistakes done by "professional" applicators and then pay 2x chemical costs on top of it at the same farm.

I own my own sprayer and have for a while. It can be difficult to get to everything when we are planting, doing hay, side dressing and trying to spray at the same time. I am not as timely as I would like at times because of this.

Some people get hung up on the savings part of owning your own sprayer but completely forget the timeliness part of it. Sure, you saved $20 an acre by buying from a wholesaler but you lost $150+ by not having your crops sprayed by now.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)