AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Owning sprayer vs hiring it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 7/3/2022 09:31 (#9731767 - in reply to #9731068)
Subject: RE: Owning sprayer vs hiring it

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

Havent read all the replies yet, but Ill tell you my story. First off you dont need that kind of $$$ in a sprayer for 2000 acres, even spraying it twice, but if thats what you want to spend, by all means go for it.  We farm just over 600 and Im able to justify a $25,000 self propelled sprayer, though the payoff will take a couple years. Last year I got prices from a local wholesaler vs the fertilizer/sprayer company we had been using. Same chemicals, same amounts, we saved about $34,000 IIRC, not counting application costs. Now since we have alot of crop share, not all of that is money saved is for us, but it still adds up, basically it justified me not having to go get a real job in town. We really never owned a sprayer until I bought the Hagie, save for the year before where I got a cheap 50ft manual boom pull type sprayer from a landlord, tried to use it, and decided I had to upgrade or not do it at all. 

We couldve saved a little more by going to a bigger wholesaler like Benes, but to me the trip over there and not able to be as flexible on herbicides wasnt worth the little extra we would save. This wholesaler is only about 8 miles from us, and they will load alot of stuff in bulk, but I only get charged for what I use, so thats a win-win for me.  

I figured my cost to run the sprayer as the same as having it done, the sprayer dont run for nothing, and the coops arent paying for those machines and people out of that $7.50/acre, theres no possible way, its all on the markup of the chems and the app cost is a wash. So even though it doesnt cost me the full $7.50, ( I rough figure about $3-4/acre for running costs, including the truck and everything, which we already had) I use the rest of it to pocket away for repairs and any upgrades, if I dont have any or dont use that full amount, its more profit for me, like a bonus. 

Now that sprayer didnt cost me the full $25k, I paid $15k for it, its a 1994 model Hagie 284, its not pretty, and it rides pretty rough, but it gets the job done, and the weeds are still dead, sometimes better than the COOP does it. I sprayed a jungle last year for my uncle, using the same stuff the coop did on another field of his, but I had a better kill, I think it was because I used a set of nozzles that were finer, but had better coverage, it was one of those things where it wasnt off label, but it was in the grey area. Also I didnt go 15mph like they do with the booms 6ft off the ground cuz on a Deere the auto boom height doesnt work at that speed ( something I heard directly from the horses mouth, from a guy who works there)

I had to do some work on the machine, but thats not something Im afraid of, so after buying it, I completely replumbed the machine from tanks to boom tips, added sections and auto section and rate control using a used Trimble GFX750 that I purchased basically just for the sprayer, but can use it for other things too. Had to do a few mechanical things this year, the front legs needed replaced, and it needed a new set of injectors and exhaust manifold, so now Im probably all in the $25k that I budgeted. 

I picked the Hagie because it was the only one in my budget that could also spray fungicide and insecticide on tall corn, which makes the payoff much faster, which is also something to think about, having a plane spray isnt cheap anymore, plus the extra cost of the chems they charge. If youre gonna invest, you might as well get something that you can get the most use out of. If youre interested in a Hagie, I highly recommend Rick Van Dale over in Iowa, hes a farmer who sells a ton of Hagies on the side, thats where I got mine, and he probably had 20 more Hagies from old to almost brand new sitting there for sale.  

Edit to add: I do all the spraying and tendering myself, we have water at every farm so the truck gets hooked up and its refilling while Im spraying, but you could have a set of bulk tanks at home or have a setup off an irrigation well to fill really fast if you dont have that option. 

Edited by berggrenfarms 7/3/2022 09:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)