AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Owning sprayer vs hiring it
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 7/2/2022 20:58 (#9731220 - in reply to #9731195)
Subject: RE: Owning sprayer vs hiring it

The con is $45,000 is probably the payment on a decent machine. Don't forget emissions headaches on a newer machine.
40 years ago I figured it cost me $1 an acre to spray my own with a tractor rig. I would imagine it would be that much to haul the water now. Don't forget one has to have support equipment and crew.
It also makes a huge difference how spread out one is.
When I used to spray 150 acres was a fair day if that was all I did and weather cooperated.
If you are all in one place that is a different ball game.
With the cost of repairs most custom guys stay under warranty as parts are high.
Also having the latest technology makes a difference. Individual nozzle shut offs. Electronic nozzles so you can maintain spray patterns at lower application speeds.
I probably save enough chemical to pay for the application fee verses using my old equipment with 10 ft shut offs.
I can see from your Dad's perspective not wanting to own one. At close to retirement age why would one want to buy more equipment. One more thing to learn, one more thing to maintain, and when it just has itself paid for you need another one.
When I was young I thought if I could wear out 3 pieces of equipment to buy the fourth outright I thought that was okay. Not so much now.
If you are not getting a good spray job then that changes things big time.

Edited by IADAVE 7/2/2022 21:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)