AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Business decision...No More Trucks!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pknoeber
Posted 3/24/2008 13:47 (#340807 - in reply to #340739)
Subject: RE: Did that about 2 months ago...

SW KS, near Dodge City
Bought a '97 Honda Civic to drive to work and the farm. Only time the POS Dodge diesel leaves the yard is when heavy pulling is required. When I get to the farm, when working around the farm, it's a 4-wheeler.

To date have put about 4,000 miles on the Civic. It's averaging just over 33 mpg. Dodge was running right about 15.5. Soooo. 4000 miles at 33 mpg is 121.2 gallons of gas. At 3.20 that's $387.84 in gas. The dodge would burn 258 gallons of diesel at 3.95. That's $1,019 in diesel. So, to date in direct fuel costs I've saved $631. Not bad. Used today's gas prices. For some reason the spread between unleaded and diesel is becoming unreasonable. Plus, the Civic's tires will cost about 1/2 as much, and if it goes into the shop, I'd be surprised to see a bill over 500 bucks. That blankety-blank dodge goes in the shop, and I'd be shocked to get it out UNDER 500 bucks. Just how it's worked for me. Everybody else's mileage may vary... but I know on that Dodge, the only thing it will do is get worse. Regular diesel-->Low sulfur cost me 1 mpg. Low sulfur-->Ultra-low cost me another mpg. Can't wait to see what's next.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)