AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Off Farm Job Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Enginerd
Posted 4/20/2023 10:37 (#10194595 - in reply to #10191514)
Subject: RE: Off Farm Job Advice

NW Ohio
I am in a similar position that you are, an engineer that wants to farm full time. My brother and I farm less acreage than you but we have improved efficiency a lot since we started. It is definitely hard to leave a job with flexibility and more days off. I have gotten burnt out at my job, but I really enjoy the people I work with so that makes it more bearable to keep on trucking along. I work a lot of overtime in my position so that can hinder getting to the farm but is not mandatory. I have looked at other places but being in my mid 20's I would go from 6+ weeks of vacation down to 2 weeks at a new place and maybe loose out on pay as most companies around here are strict salary with no overtime pay for engineers. I guess you have to decide how unhappy you are and if it is worth loosing out on more days off. I would have a hard time going back to 2-3 weeks of vacation and having to schedule way in advanced for days off. I can text my boss the morning that I am taking PTO and that flexibility means a lot to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)