AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Off Farm Job Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/20/2023 06:41 (#10194247 - in reply to #10191514)
Subject: RE: Off Farm Job Advice

West Union, Illinois

bustedknuckles52 - I am burned out, I do not enjoy my job or the atmosphere.  My wife works. Your job provides the family's insurance.

First thing to do is quit asking us and talk with her.  Not to her, but with her.  Nothing says you have to enjoy your job but it is better if you do.  Half of 350 acres won't support a family unless you are REALLY into specialty crops.  So farming is a tradition, a hobby.

I can relate to that. I was farming 400 acres 90% rented working with my family in a 2000 acre operation.  That meant anything I did had to be done on a 2000 acre scale.  I had to get a full time off farm job to keep a roof over our heads and 5 mouths fed.  I was fortunate.  7 years later I got the opportunity to cross a bridge I burned 7 years earlier.

Your first priority has to be what is best for the family.  Figure that out then see if the farm even fits in.  Talk with your wife and listen to her.  She'll be the one you have to figure all this out with, not your brother.  He may be blood but he's an also ran.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)