AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Off Farm Job Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

bustedknuckles52
Posted 4/18/2023 08:51 (#10191514)
Subject: Off Farm Job Advice

NE Ohio
I have never posted in the Kitchen Table forum before, but I am in need of advise and I figure someone here has to have been in my shoes before. This has been weighing on my mind for weeks, I have not been able to make a decision I am confident in yet.

I farm roughly 350 acres with my brother. We both have modest off farm office jobs. We both would love to farm fulltime someday but realize that is more of a dream than a reality. Never the less we are trying our best to continue to expand the farm. We reinvest the farm earnings back into the farm and we support our families with our town jobs.

This brings me to my dilemma, I have an opportunity to change day jobs.
At my current job I do not work overtime, I'm off by 4pm every day, I have every other Friday off, I am "next in line" to be manager, unknown time line. I am burned out, I do not enjoy my job or the atmosphere. I am here because it has allowed me time and flexibility to farm. That flexibility would be reduced slightly as manager.

The possible new job may come with a marginal pay increase, I would enjoy the work, the company culture is much nicer. However, they do ask you to work voluntary paid overtime (arrive early, work through lunch) I would still be off at 4 but would work 5 days a week, not very flexible scheduling. This may create problems hauling grain or getting fertilizer etc because I will be getting off work when those places are closing at unseasonal times through the year.

So do I stay where I am, unhappy at work with 26 "extra" days a year to farm, or do I take a more enjoyable job with more money (because of overtime mainly) and possibly put a limit on what I really love to do?

Edit to add: I have been at my current job just under 10 years and I have another 30 years before I can retire.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Edited by bustedknuckles52 4/18/2023 08:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)