AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Those who farmed through the '80's ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 7/4/2022 11:57 (#9733403 - in reply to #9732480)
Subject: RE: Bankrupt equipment dealers

Nw Iowa
If you left interest out crop farming cash flowed most of those years.. Here it was land debt also, our land got to 4000$ a acre in early 80’s here as farm credit was full speed ahead. . I remember a lot of guys in their late 50’s and 60’s were borrowing money against the farm as land went up to maintain life style, start a son, buy new machinery etc. . It didn’t end well. I remember my grandpa talking about depression and how we just kind of shrugged it off. I get some of same feeling now as I talk to younger kids about 80’s. Depression was far worse but 80’s were bad. Today’s younger farmers have gotten so many handouts that they have never really understand when there really wasn’t a goverment program to bail you out. I don’t want farmers to go broke or anything of the sort but tough times do reset the industry and cuts out alot of waste. I remember in the 80’s that nobody did only row crop anymore. Everybody had a second job or winter job or occupation. The pickups sitting in front of coffee shops pretty much dried up. I see some of same things now, spending all winter collecting tractors, big motor homes, big boats, second homes. Some can afford, some cannot. As Warren Buffet says, when tide goes out we will who was swimming naked!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)