AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Those who farmed through the '80's ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 7/3/2022 14:56 (#9732121 - in reply to #9732076)
Subject: RE: Those who farmed through the '80's ?

The real sad part was some of the guys would have been alright if they could have made it another 30 days.
One poor soul that got sold out had hogs that were almost fat. They wouldn't let him sell them and they wouldn't give him money for feed. Sad for him, lucky for me.
I just had rented my corn stalks to a neighbor and stopped at the sale on the way to home hoping to have some one hire me to haul a few hogs. They brought those hogs in with big frames and skinny as all get. $10 a head was the bid.
I could see nothing wrong other than hungry hogs. I bought hogs until the cornstalk check was gone. When I settled up I had enough left to buy a slice of coconut cream pie and I was penniless.
While I was eating the pie contemplating how I was going to feed these hogs a young man came in crying. He told me he almost had his hogs fat and they shut him off. No feed, he wasn't allowed to sell them either. All he could do was turn them out into some corn stalks.
I went to work grinding cobs the next day and the main cob customer carried me on the feed and took care of the hogs. ( He needed the cobs bad enough he didn't want me to stop the grinder to tend my hogs). The first batch of hogs was gone
before the first feed bill came. I cleared well over $100 a head on those.
I hadn't seen them since I unloaded them when I loaded those out.
I was very lucky that year.
I know of one farmer that got sold out with the crop still in the field. The new farmer was combining before they closed. He combined enough to make the down payment.

Edited by IADAVE 7/3/2022 15:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)