AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bad neighbors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Frustrated Farmer
Posted 1/24/2010 16:57 (#1039086 - in reply to #1039045)
Subject: Re: bad neighbors

Silver Lake, Kansas
I have been reading this thread since sometime yesterday, and trying to put together in my own mind an idea or philosophy that I can defend on being a good/bad neighbor. Since I took over managing the farm operation, I have approached two different landlords who had either told me they were unhappy with the current tenant or whose tenant decided to hang it up for greener pastures. I simply said that I would like an opportunity to talk with them about renting their property. Never offered any rent figures or trash talked any of the neighboring operators. Did not rent either property.

I have tried my da@#dest to be to be a respectable tenant to the folks who choose to rent me their ground and a good neighbor to the other farmers. If you need some help, and we are in a position to help, we will. I notify each of the landlords in January what the acreage of each crop is for the coming year, and if they have any questions or concerns to contact me. For those that are on shares, I make sure that the elevator pays them for all of the grain that is delivered. If they have questions about farm programs or crop insurance I get them the answer they need. I try to get the rented ground planted and harvested if possible before I do what I own. We have a hog roast in the summer that we invite all of them to attend. Cleared snow out of their driveways in the winter. Trimmed trees in their yards if they were unable to physically do so. I think you might get the picture.

There has been some rental ground change hands in the area, but usually it is all decided and done before it becomes public knowledge. I never held a grudge because someone got a farm and I didn't. I figured that it was the owners property to do with as they saw fit. If they thought I wasn't the best choice for them, so be it.

(Hiding under the computer desk, waiting for the flames to come out)

Edited by Frustrated Farmer 1/24/2010 16:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)