AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bad neighbors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tmrand
Posted 1/23/2010 22:52 (#1038050 - in reply to #1038005)
Subject: Re: bad neighbors

Southeast Colorado
I don't think of the BTOs as bad people but I do think that possibly the younger generation doesn't understand what living in this rural life use to be like. Younger people think that it has always been an "I'm only watching out for my back attitude with their neighbors". I think that what is happening is inevitable because it is human nature to want to get big but it is also kind of sad. Our little towns have dried up and our rural schools are about to disappear because of the lack of students. I'm glad that I was able to grow up in the time period I did because I believe that way of life is gone. I just feel bad for my kids and future grand kids. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gloom and doomer but its hard to deny the facts. The few BTOs that seem to have no end to their land buying ability hire mostly mexican help or anyone that will work 80 hours a week for about 5 dollars an hour. They also buy in bulk through out of the area companies and have basically eliminated all of the competion between the local retailers. They use their savings to keep buying every available acre that comes up for sale so we watch another family disappear and more kids leave the school system. I don't think there is a change in sight and I'm a firm believer in capitalism so I reckon life will just go on. I'm content with what I have and am not jealous but I truly don't see how anyone new could ever come in and compete any more. I suppose inheritance tax or a lazy younger generation will lose it all for them someday but the damage has already been done to my hometown. Sorry I sound so chipper! I have a good life! I also have a couple of excellent neighbors and friends but their days of operating a viable farm in this environment are probably numbered.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)