AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bad neighbors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cowpoke
Posted 1/24/2010 16:30 (#1039040 - in reply to #1037716)
Subject: Re: bad neighbors

I am always amazed at how prevalent this BTO threads are. I never in my life dreamed this was such an issue until seeing how often they pop up here.

Like others have said, I have enough worries over my operation that I am not going to waste my time worrying about someone elses. I could be a lot bigger than I am since I passed on a couple of deals, but when I put a pencil to it there wasn't enough money in it to suit me. The key phrases here are "I" and "me". I made my decisions. Like everyone else I would love to have more ground, but I am perfectly happy where I am at right now and we are very profitable even though it isn't enough to raise a family on yet. If an opportunity ever pops up where I can see the potential for a profit I'll jump.

These guys that are complaining are probably the same ones who feel they are "entitled" to make a living farming by some constitutional right or inheritance or they are the ones who growl when someone bids against them at an auction.

Sure you have the right to attempt to make a living farming, but there is no right to succeed at it. If you can beat the next guy to the profit margin you will probably survive.

I acutually owe a BTO a favor. The year after we bought this place one of the worst farmers you will ever meet in your life moved into the neighborhood. He has some stuff on his own, but is also a hired man for another large outfit. This other outfit bought up a bunch of ground around me for way more than it was worth and my land value over tripled. I would love to stay here and like the area, but we are seriously considering selling out and taking our profit to another area. I know some areas where we could probably double or triple our acerage.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)