AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bad neighbors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tmrand
Posted 1/23/2010 23:59 (#1038159 - in reply to #1038119)
Subject: Re: bad neighbors

Southeast Colorado
I think you guys misunderstand my comments. By and large most people here seem to own their land instead of rent. It isn't so much that people are throwing tenants off. It just seems that when an older farmer retires and sells their land the price the land brings is beyond ever cash flowing it. So consequently all of the things I wrote about above have happened. All of the land that I have purchased was done so through beginner farmer programs and that land wasn't available to the established farmers. One of these guys was vocally heard saying that I was a peon and would be broke in a couple of years anyway. That was 16 years ago. I've gone to several land sales since then and attempted to buy land and have been the second highest bidder a couple of times. Trouble is when a couple of these folks but heads at a land sale you can see what they'll really pay and it is easily 30 to 50% higher then that land would ever cash flow. Once again don't get me wrong, I'm all for capitalism and wouldn't have it any other way, but as a local school board member who is very proud of his community, I think all of this change hasn't been for the better. By the way, we do have one local BTO that hires family oriented people, pays good wages, and shops locally, and I respect them very much. They are good for our community. I'm sure they could get by cheaper and that they are shooting themselves in the foot competitively but to them, helping the community is worth it. I might also add that I'm not saying there aren't any opportunities out there. I'm just saying that they are very limited compared to the past and the proof can be seen driving down our main street and by our schools.

Edited by tmrand 1/24/2010 00:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)