AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I gotta ask, rough sections of big towns, why are you all so afraid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JVKnoblock
Posted 1/7/2010 13:32 (#1008499 - in reply to #1008083)
Subject: E. St. Louis, IL

When I worked for U of IL Extension part of my job was to teach basic ag in the schools in E. St. Louis (ESL). ALL of them- elementary, middle, high, and the alternative school they sent the really bad boys and girls to. That is part of the reason I quit that job. Loved the job, love to teach, love Ag, hated going "down there". A few stories for you-
1) None of the elementary schools had parking lots, you had to park on the street. At one school the homeless guy who hung out on the corner right across from the entrance charged me a quarter to let me out of my car. When I said something about it in the office the secretary said, "Oh yeah, that's Leon. Just pay him, you'll be fine." Charged me a quarter to let me back in my car when I left too. Every time I went to that school I made sure I had quarters with me.
2) In the winter the walks don't get shoveled so you walk on the street to the school. At one school that was literally surrounded by projects I was trooping down the street hauling my cart of supplies for that day's lesson. Carload of older teenagers goes by real slow, car turns around and passes again, car turns around comes back, window goes down, I think, "here we go, I'm a dead woman", kid in the back says, "You Mrs. K?", "yep, that's me", he says "my little brother likes you. You'll be fine." and off they go.
3)I went to the high school to talk about careers in Ag. At the office I was told to not be in the hallway during class changes. OK, great. Of course I got caught up in class change coming back from the restroom. I ended up face to face with a young man. He looked me up and down, sneered and threw me against the lockers. No words exchanged, nothing. I saw stars. Resigned my position two weeks later.
4) The most polite kids were the ones at the alternative school. They were also the most neatly dressed. They were also searched every morning on the way in and a security guard roamed the halls.

So... I survived my trips into ESL, Washington Park, etc, but I would not do it again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)