AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers about how hard they work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boa628
Posted 3/21/2024 20:11 (#10674407 - in reply to #10673023)
Subject: RE: Farmers about how hard they work

SWOH
Those that like to talk about how hard they work tend to be the ones that like to measure hard work in time and not physical strain or accomplishment, in my experience anyway. Not always but most. Usually when I hear somebody else tell me such and such is a hard worker I have an easier time believing it. I measure hard work in what gets accomplished, not hours put in.

I will hopefully never have to physically work as hard as my grandpa did. He used to tell us about the old days, but he never bragged about it and he never held it against us that we didn’t have to do what he did in his younger days. I don’t think I work hard. I’d like to think I work smart, but I doubt that’s the case either. I still get to do plenty of physical work, but I can think of plenty of professions that require way more consistent physical activity than what I do as a farmer. I used to bale small square hay and straw, now it’s all round bales. I used to detassel seed corn and walk through corn fields for a month every summer, now it’s mostly done mechanically. I used to stack bags of seed corn all winter long, now we have robots. I don’t have to carry buckets to chore the hogs, now we have flex augers and automatic waterers. Feeding cattle is a TMR mixer and a skidloader. Both have a cab and heat and A/C. Even autosteer makes a huge difference in mental tiredness now. I don’t brag about how hard I work. I don’t have to work nearly as hard as I used to and by far nowhere near how hard grandpa had to work.

Edited by boa628 3/21/2024 20:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)