AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers about how hard they work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GDAD
Posted 3/20/2024 22:00 (#10673291 - in reply to #10673023)
Subject: RE: Farmers about how hard they work

N.E. MO
nick121 - 3/20/2024 06:01

Quit often posts on here about how many hours do you work and most non farmers or employees cant work etc etc.

I've really come to notice how the guys who seem like they're putting in long days don't count the time spent when neighbors or salesmen stop to visit or go out to lunch with fellow farmers or just have a long lunch at home. Running to get parts and chat with so and so.
And how employees never work as hard or break so much stuff.

Not to say farmers aren't hard working.. And I hand it to the livestock guys cause they work for their money for sure. But there's many people out there working hard and farming has gotten much easier with machinery doing most of the work.
Hard to agree with it being so hard with bulk seed and fertilizer and autosteer with air conditioned cabs.

I'm an employee but have farmed some on my own.. I know other farm hands and yes there's definitely steering wheel holders and clock watchers out there.. but many good employees too. And Honestly not many people with have the same level of care or concern as the owner operator. But me and many others are right out there working to get the job done right with the owners. And still a fair amount of us do care about our jobs and doing it right.

There's definitely the money and stress of running the business/farm that as an employee I don't need to worry about. I can go home and the problems stop there. Although I also understand the farm/business needs to turn a profit or im out a job.

The freedom that a farm operator has to slip out to do this or that and run a personal errand or stop and visit someone. Vs a town person working a job needs to schedule a day off for this type of thing

Just a random post that might ruffle feather but a different view.

Sounds like you are a trusted and devoted employee. I consider myself the same. Just a warning; farm employees get very, very little respect on this site, so tread with caution.
I will start off by saying that I am thankful not to have the stresses that my employer has, financial, logistic, employee issues, on and on. Trying to keep everything straight would wear me down fast. And I’m blessed to have a fantastic employer. He is the hardest working one of the bunch, and I don’t mean just sitting in the office or the pickup. Came from pretty humble beginnings and hasn’t ever got that out of his system. And he treats his good employees very well and with a lot of flexibility. Two biggest things are to be working when we’re on the clock and never, ever lie to him. I’ve seen him be way more lenient than I would be over some fair big mistakes, as long as a guy is up front and honest about it.
I feel like am one of his key, trusted employees. I don’t feel micromanaged. I work hard and work a lot of hours. I may go two weeks or more and never talk to he or anyone. He trusts me to take care of what I’m supposed to. Never really been denied anything I asked for that I needed. He knows I don’t ask for things I don’t need.
I don’t and won’t claim to have the stresses a farm owner has. But it does get under my skin when we employees are talked about on here as lazy idiots.
At the end of the day, if I’m not doing my best to help him be successful, I’m not going to be successful. And even above that, my personal reputation is on the line, based significantly on the kind of work I do. I know that doesn’t mean much on here, but it does to me and in my community.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)