AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers about how hard they work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Tomcat
Posted 3/21/2024 06:18 (#10673453 - in reply to #10673023)
Subject: RE: Farmers about how hard they work

Ludington/Manistee MI area
Some of us aren’t social people. I’d rather text than talk at least a text you can respond when convenient. Most inputs are ordered by text here since we are dealers corn and bean seed is ordered via the dealer website. I work full time in town and farm as much as some of the smaller full time guys. Over the course of a year I put in more hours on the farm than at work. Put it this way I count the months till I can walk away from my day job and farm full time not the other way around. That should tell you a lot.

We’ve had some good help over the years BUT it’s obvious they don’t see the time commitment ownership involves. Other than a rare short vacation it’s an everyday commitment only days I only feed cows is Christmas and maybe Easter. Any other day something productive needs to happen. I’ve planted lots of beans on Memorial Day, sidedressed plenty corn and baled plenty of hay on Independence Day, and combined lots of corn on Thanksgiving. How many times have you trudged through the pasture in wind driven snow to check on cows in the middle of the night? Does your family have a calf check rotation during bad weather so everyone gets a little sleep to be able to function the next day?

My helper says son has basketball Tuesday and Friday you won’t see me on the other hand I’ve told my son several times sorry hay is ready I’m missing your game tonight or sorry looks like I’ll be running beans during your game.

How many hired hands have gone days without seeing their school age children because they are working that many hours?

Edited by Tomcat 3/21/2024 06:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)