AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tariffs part deuce
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

69Cat
Posted 4/5/2024 10:01 (#10694783 - in reply to #10694500)
Subject: RE: Tariffs part deuce

What "China" goods would this involve?

Just those made by Chinese corporations
Would it include all the biggest US and multi national companies that operate in China
Would goods be routed through a different country first to avoid the tarrifs

By the way, when Caterpillar and say NTN bearings have large operations in China and then sell the goods manufactured in China back here at home, how exactly does this big US corporation operating in China look from a cost of production standpoint. Does China charge an excessive rate for utilities like gas, power, communications and such - how about infrastructure like roads and rail, is that at a similar cost structure to here at home, how about labour - is Cat footing a fairly heavy bill for worker health insurance and employment benefits and such.

I actually haven't seen this data so if tariffs on American companies operating in China and selling their goods back at home would level the playing field for citizens back at home, would that be good or bad? If the playing field is not level, how would you want you US leaders to respond so as to stop a country from being gutted. I suppose the US government could subsidize all home based operations with massive government support, that would work.

As I understand it, a "communist" country like China (which has major "capitalist" corporations operating there) does, as part of communist ideology, support industry to a massive degree. So it seems a safe bet that these international corporations are getting a free ride in China. If China is indeed communist.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)