AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is there any way I can have good looking notill corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Redrunner02
Posted 5/30/2023 20:55 (#10250070)
Subject: Is there any way I can have good looking notill corn

without having to plow a trench with row cleaners?

I farm some pretty steep land so for years I’ve tried to find the right balance of moving the residue, but not doing so much that I risk having big washouts. The trouble is, when i don’t move all the residue, I have big issues with up and down yellow corn.

My nitrogen and sulphur are usually all applied as a preemerge as 32% UAN and Thio-Sul. Wherever there is bare ground, the corn is green and beautiful. Wherever I have heavy trash over the row, it is short, yellow, and ugly.
I’ve always attributed this to all my fertilizer getting tied up in the residue. Eventually it always comes out of this phase, but I am sure it is costing me money every year.

For some added context, last year I set my row cleaners lower and moved all the residue. I was moving a little soil but, not making deep trenches like I’ve seen from some people. Of course then this happened. (See pic) I had to replant 300 acres of that.

Now I’m back to moving little residue. I still use row cleaners but just barely, but of course I’m back to ugly corn. One thing I’d like to try is dribbling N behind my closing system. I really don’t want to fight coulters. Is there any chance that dribbling N and S on the residue at 20 gallons an acre right beside the row would be concentrated enough to get through it? Or do I just need to risk the erosion to grow good corn?

Edited by Redrunner02 5/30/2023 21:01

(IMG_3014 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3014 (full).jpeg (203KB - 232 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)