AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydraulic Drives to control Planter sections
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 6/14/2009 11:20 (#744682 - in reply to #744473)
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Drives to control Planter sections

Brazilton KS

We gave up planting wheat in favor of cutting other people's instead.  It seems like we make more money that way then if we try to grow it.  At least you shouldn't lose money cutting for someone else :)

I set everything except the planter and disk to actual width.  I usually cheat the planter an inch or two wider (don't want rows crossing) and I set the disk however I have to to get it to level well.  I have seen occasional wide or narrow swaths but not enough to worry about.  Certainly no worse then driving by hand.    I'm probably not as picky as many here would think I should be.  I tend to look at it with an ag economist's eye....if it's not costing me money, I don't really care.

I don't think I spent near 2500 on the hydraulics, but I didn't have to buy very much, mostly just rearrange what was already there.  I bought three motors and valves and several short pieces of hose.  My main expense was the EZ-Boom and the harness for it.    The rest of the EZ stuff was there anyway, however it is a legitimate part of the cost if considering everything. I paid a bit less then that for the 500/steer buying several at once.  

I think EZ-500 can take differential from NMEA but I don't think it can take position that way. I'm not sure of either, though.  

How do you like the mojo?    RTK would be nice but then I would have to go to a whole new level of training for the older partners.  Repeatibility in the equipment doesn't help if you don' have repeatibility in the operator!

Edited by plowboy 6/14/2009 11:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)