AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydraulic Drives to control Planter sections
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 6/13/2009 19:27 (#744034 - in reply to #743839)
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Drives to control Planter sections

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from on that. There is a lot of added complexity and I have heard some bad things about Tru-Count clutch reliability. It does seem like you always hear the squeaky wheel though and we haven't had problems with our clutches this year (first year with them). That being said, I would trust your electric valve a lot further than I would trust the Tru-Count clutches we have in terms of number of acres you could get out of them.

If you already have EZ-something guidance on your tractor, an EZ-Boom is much cheaper than an Insight plus Seed Command, but if you have a tractor that has guidance other than an EZ-Guide plus or EZ-Guide 500, it doesn't make much sense to buy one of the two and an EZ-Boom. I would feel uncomfortable doing row shutoffs with anything less than Omnistar XP which means $6K for the EZ-Guide 500 and $1895 for the EZ-Boom. I spent about $6600 on a new Insight with Seed Command. You could do it with a used EZ-Guide Plus instead but I think there is a lot of value in being able to see a large screen map of your field at the end to verify that you (or your hired help) got everything done that should be done.

One option I wish I had analyzed more was the possibility of using the EZ-Guide 500 and giving it position information based off of a NMEA signal coming from our MojoRTK setup (I don't know if the EZ-Guide 500 will accept NMEA positional information or not). In that situation you would only have to pay $3000 for the EZ-Guide 500 and it would be able to be used in another machine during other times of the year which would make it a much better deal than the Insight and Seed Command.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)