AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydraulic Drives to control Planter sections
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DrZhivago
Posted 6/13/2009 09:29 (#743544 - in reply to #743496)
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Drives to control Planter sections

I used 16 Ross MF120928 motors-Surplus Center item 9-5623 11.9 cubic inch motors. I have them mounted directly to the White seed meters via homemade drive coupling. The 7/8-13 spline on the motor works great to make the coupler slide for meter removal. Yes I run them in series and it requires about 1200 psi just to make the system turn as each motor creates resistance just to turn the mechanism. The seed meters turn so easy that I consider their load to be negligable. To control sections, I have normally closed solenoids plumbed in such a manner to bypass the series of motors and send the fluid down the line. I suppose one could run a valve on each motor for individual control if that was desired. If one had a special order motor with a cartridge cavity, it would be a very neat installation. Now for a few figures. I don't like to exceed 5mph in corn as I don't care which seed meter one uses, spacing suffers simply from travel speed. Therefore to achieve 30,000 population 30" rows I need to rotate the seed meters at 25.25 rpm theoretically. Take this times 11.9 cubic inches per motor revolution and you get exactly 1.3 gpm. That is all you need to in flow to get this population. No set rule that you must use 2.5 gpm or 2gpm or 3gpm. Just use what works mathematically. The large cubic inch motors turn very smooth and the motors I am using at such low torque requirement-almost unmeasurable- are near 100% volumetrically efficient-not mechanically efficient as it takes power just to make the motor turn. Now lets consider beans. I use the 60 cell 2 seed per cell disk and that gives me 120 seeds per revolution. That works out to be 37.88 rpm to achieve 180,000 seeds per acre- I plant 150,000- so if you do the math with the 11.9 cubic inch motor that works out to be 1.95 gpm. Not much flow. Now the way I built my planter bar with front guage wheels and no wheels etc. between the row units, I can have the rather large motor directly mounted on the unit side which makes the units wider than most chain driven units however I do not have any chains, bearings idlers etc to bother with. The motors are rated for 2000 psi continuous pressure and this is only important in regard to series operation and shaft seal pressure. The 1200 psi load pressure is well under the 2000 psi shaft seal continuous rating. You simply don't need a series of chain reductions if you use the right motor. Just have to assume that the reason others use the char-lynn 'J' series motor is because of size and economy considerations. If you have more questions, just ask.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)