AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ont
Posted 4/13/2024 21:16 (#10705825 - in reply to #10705770)
Subject: RE: Cold and wet disc brakes?

reread the OP.. dry gravel, not muddy roads.. brakes could still have been cold.. maybe not wet.

definitely worth pushing to get the logs from the vehicle.

On a day when there is loose gravel on my road, I will try some emergency stops to see what happens.

From my experience with my Model Y I expect lifting off the accelerator to cause max regen, which would cause wheel slip. The traction control would then remove regenerative braking immediately, potentially trying to apply regen again once wheel slip is stopped. As a driver, I would expect this to feel like the vehicle is out of control, i.e. no deceleration when expected. That would immediately cause concern. Then I would slam the brakes. It's possible this is the first application of the brakes since being stone cold. I expect initially the braking power might be poor, but sufficient to exceed the traction of the wheels, causing further wheel slip. At this point, the ABS should kick in, removing further braking power... on loose gravel I would expect to have limited stopping ability. However, I would not expect this to be significantly less than any other non-regenerative braking vehicle in similar circumstances. The only real difference should be the sudden realization that there is no regenerative braking available, which I expect would be quite concerning initially. It's quite possible the ABS tuning on this vehicle is not as mature as others, however, I believe the ABS system is a Bosch system, so it should be quite mature.

Weight distribution may also play a factor. On the minivan, the front tires have most of the weight, significantly improving stopping power at the front, while the Tesla is more 50/50 distribution, and the car is setup with a considerable rear power bias.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)