AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building new home tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

joe
Posted 12/27/2010 18:37 (#1509749 - in reply to #1508308)
Subject: RE: Building new home tips

We moved into our new home just over four years ago. It is a 2200sq. ft ranch on a full basement...............some things we did. I put a manhole in the garage and have my sump pump connected to the outside perimeter drain outside the basement. I also put in two stair wells to the basement, one being in the center of the house and the other coming from the garage. I have read on here where people think that is unsafe to have a stairwell from the garage but I wouldn't do it any other way. We also drew up a plan that had all of the bathrooms sort of centered in the house and above the mechanical room in the basement (just off of that stairwell from the garage) to keep the water heater kind of close to each sink/shower and not have to run hot water a few minutes to get it where you want it. Most probably put in on demand water heater but we did not. When we drew ours up we wanted an entrance beside the garage on the rear of the house that led to the laundry/mudroom and from there into the master bathroom. When I come in dirty, I can enter the mudroom drop my dirty clothes enter the master bath and when cleaned up go straight into our bedroom where the master closet is and dress. I can then either reverse my path or go into the hallway to the kitchen/living room. It took us awhile to get that part drawn up the way we wanted but it has worked extremely well for our lifestyle. Don't be afraid to dream while its on paper and as everyone else has mentioned, put in plenty of outlets. We also went geothermal heat and have been very happy with it. Sorry to be so long winded. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)