AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building new home tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

maninblack
Posted 12/27/2010 12:11 (#1509185 - in reply to #1508308)
Subject: RE: Building new home tips

So Illinois
First let me say I haven't built a new house but have helped build several and remodeled lots and I have seen lots of mistakes people make. Just because all the shows on tv are preaching some design, just don't take their word for it. Think it over...does that reallly work for me and is that going to be dated in a few years? They are in the business to promote and sell new stuff so keep that it mind.

Lots of great ideas from everyone and I'll add a couple more. Whether you have a crawl space or attic, put at least one electrical outlet and a couple lights there. Lots easier than dragging trouble lights and extension cords down the road. And like mentioned above, be sure to have several switched plugins for things outside and inside. (Mom and dad built their house in the 60's before programmable coffee pots. Dad put a 3 way switch next to the bed that controlled the coffee pot plug in in the kitchen. Little extreme I realize.)

Make sure garage has at least 8 foot tall doors for big suv's or pickups. 8 x 10 is best.

If possible have at least one entrance to the house that is ground level. You're not getting younger and neither are parents or grandparents.

Consider how you will get furniture into rooms...especially bedrooms. That fancy little offset might look nice but if the bedroom furniture won't make the turn...crap. Plan doors across from each other or extra wide doors if possible.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)