AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building new home tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Brandon SWIA
Posted 12/27/2010 08:04 (#1508842 - in reply to #1508308)
Subject: Re: Building new home tips

We are doing a major addition to the old family farm house. Some things we are doing. Don't know yet how they will work out. Made garage above grade so that the step into the house will be shorter. Will likely build a wheel chair ramp right away for older family members. Plus someone told me that we will use the ramp instead of stairs. Kitchen will be big. As others said, that is a gathering place when we are entertaining guests. Its also where we spend most of our family time. Wife wanted an island as a table instead of a regular table. Make sure your cabinets are high enough to get appliances under and use without having to pull them out. Think coffee maker.

Wife is getting a big walk in closet. We may also put a vanity in there so she can have all her makeup/hair products out and you just close the closet door and they are out of sight.

I'm getting the garage I wanted. 30'x40'. Two car with 8'x10' doors. Rest of garage will be office and a bathroom. I think the bathroom right beside the outdoor entrance will get used a lot. In floor heat and floor drains. Going to put a washer/dryer hookup for shop clothes/rags/etc. Keep the grease out of the good machines. May also put the deep freeze in the garage instead of the basement. Garage space is relatively cheap. Insulation is cheap right now. Garage is framed in 2x4's. Wish I had framed it in 2x6 or at least the office area. Miscommunication between myself and the contractor. I am doing some of the work myself and working with a good contractor. He let's me buy some materials myself and there can be a lot of savings there. Menard's has drywall 10% off. Good deals on insulation too. Got guy at Menard's to give me a sale price on some regularly priced outside dooors that saved me about $30/door. Saved $90. Small amounts, but add up in long run. Doing most of my own wiring, but working with an electrician. Going to lay out the in floor heat myself, etc.

Brandon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)