AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building new home tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

MN Dave 2
Posted 12/27/2010 01:28 (#1508728 - in reply to #1508308)
Subject: Re: Building new home tips

We built a 2150sq' single ranch style in 2008.

1. Hire a good local general contractor... one who you can talk to past customers, not just ones he gives you names for

2. the only time garage is too big is when you are paying for it or sweeping it out. We built a 3 car, about 34'X36' we have ample storage room in front of vehicles and also on each side of them.

3. we did not put in floor heat in basement... as of now we only use basement as storage/furnace room the extra $$$ were not worth it for us

4. we did not put any heat source in our garage either. We insulated the walls and ceiling... water will freeze when outside temp gets down around 0 for a couple of days.

5. Install a drain in your garage, near full width is great.

6. Install at least a 12'x15' walk in out door clothes closet by the back door. I can't believe how many every day jackets I have. I NEVER saw commercial plans that had enough closet space. I guess town people have only q jacket each.

7. My wife loves her island in the kitchen.

8. Walk in pantry in kitchen is a step saver

9. Wide doorways and wide hall ways... no steps/multiple floors plan. One step up from ground level. We're not getting younger. A friend in their mid 40's bought a multiple level house, said that "the steps will keep them young"... wife fell and hurt her knee, they were screwed.

10. Get some LEGOS or some cardboard box pieces and make a scale model of your proposed house. It's easy to move walls, doorways, windows etc around. Check out traffic patterns. It's much more real and maybe easier to visualize how things will look/work.

11. Walk in shower.... easier to get in for you old age

12. Be prepared to spend 20% more than you thought you would

13. You can never have too many outlets... especially in your office.

14. Multiple windows/doors for each side of house for cross ventilation.

15. go to open houses... any place where you walk through some new homes for ideas of how they did things
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)