AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grass fed beef
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/23/2010 23:55 (#1329563 - in reply to #1329105)
Subject: RE: grass fed beef - my experiment (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Here is a picture of a steer that I "finished" on grass in 2009 as an experiment. Going to the processor he weighed 1110 lb and was exactly 16 months old. The beef was good, but frankly I don't think it was nearly as tasty or tender as the steers I finished by grazing standing unharvested corn and processed at about 1000 lb and 14 months old this past spring (2nd picture).

Looking at the beef board link above, I was surprised to find the following quote (emphasis is mine):

In 2006, USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) proposed a standard for grass (forage) fed marketing claims. The proposal calls for producers to demonstrate 99 percent or more of their animals’ energy came from grass and/or forage, with the exception of milk consumed by animals prior to weaning. Forage is defined as any edible, non-woody plant material, other than separated grain,which can be grazed or harvested for feeding.

As I read this then, grazing standing corn (grain not separated from the ear) can be considered "grass fed"?

I agree with most of what Ben posted above. (except the "BS") It takes different genetics to "finish" on grass. There are bulls and breeders that specialize in breeding cattle that do well/finish on grass just as there are breeders who specialize in breeding cattle with traits intended to finish in a feedlot.

And the link above saying that we can not produce grass finished cattle in the US is just not correct. I suggest that if the customers WANTED grass finished cattle in the US they would have US grass finished cattle.

I used to travel in Europe quite a bit on business. There were many examples of European grass fed beef on the menu but when folks really wanted a good piece of beef you order the US beef on the menu. Or went to the "American steak houses" which I recall seeing in Germany.

Here is a second picture of a group of my spring steers this past March entering a new front of standing corn. I had just removed the divider wire. They also have access to hay and mineral. This beef tasted GOOD. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 8/24/2010 00:01

(IMG_1131_81 at grass finish 072509_1.jpg)

(IMG_2898_Steers being finished grazing standing corn entering fresh corn 030410.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1131_81 at grass finish 072509_1.jpg (84KB - 68 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2898_Steers being finished grazing standing corn entering fresh corn 030410.JPG (89KB - 73 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)