AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How old were you when your father passed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 3/16/2024 21:40 (#10667900 - in reply to #10667651)
Subject: RE: How old were you when your father passed?

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

Dad died April 9, 2001. Massive brain aneurysm. That was actually his second one. His previous one had been five years earlier. He was 78. I was 41. The last time I saw him he was unconscious, laid out in the ER in the Tupelo hospital. It was on a Sunday morning. I had preached in Huntsville, AL that morning. Had my son with me. He was 12 at the time. He had gone out that morning before church to take care of a cow. She had twin calves and rejected one of them so he would put her in the head gate so the rejected one could get some milk. Mom thought he had been gone too long so she sent one of my nephews who was living with them at the time to check on dad. He had gotten the cow in the head gate and laid down in the grass. He was unconscious when my nephew found him and never came to. The ER doc said he probably never knew what hit him. My son and I were supposed to spend the week with my parents. Dad enjoyed going to used car auctions and that's what we had planned to do that week. Instead, I got to speak at his funeral. Over 300 people signed the guest book at the funeral home. Not a day passes that I don't think about him. Sixth grade education but one of the wisest and smartest people I have ever known.

Fortunately, mom is still with us at 95 and going strong. Not as strong as she once was but still lives alone and drives herself to town, does all her own shopping, and is still making quilts.

Edit to add: Pictures are from 1995.

Edited by clevepreach 3/16/2024 21:43

(Whole Bunch on 50th (full).jpg)

(Dad & Mom 50th (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Whole Bunch on 50th (full).jpg (101KB - 35 downloads)
Attachments Dad & Mom 50th (full).jpg (228KB - 33 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)