AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Retirement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BLKCOW
Posted 6/24/2022 00:25 (#9718555 - in reply to #9717949)
Subject: RE: Retirement

I know of quite a few guys that retired and didn't last very long. Part of it is they worked every day for years and had no hobbies or any idea of what to do with themselves when they moved to town. My father declared he needed to slow down in his mid sixties, promptly drove to South Dakota and came home with a couple of Belgian draft horses. Still had a set of harness in the hay loft and spent a good number of years dragging home old horse equipment and fixing it up. Cancer got him when he was eighty but he enjoyed the last years of his life. Had a good friend that was a government electrical engineer. Loved to hunt and fish. Had a chance to retire early and I believe it was a big mistake. When he could hunt or fish any time he wanted, he lost interest. Developed a drinking problem and died too young. I feel my age (67 in Nov.) somedays, but a trip to Walmart and seeing people a lot younger than me driving around in carts puts things in perspective. I'm amazed at what I did when I was younger. Put up a lot of hay by myself with not very good equipment. Made it through some tough times. But a sense of gratitude for what you have goes a long way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)