AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Retirement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 6/24/2022 07:40 (#9718785 - in reply to #9716580)
Subject: RE: Retirement

Nw Iowa
Farming today is a lot more stress than it used to be. Dealing with more help, ( we have good help so not complaining) more government reporting, more liability, more deadlines, hauling crop further, truck fleet another whole can of worms, new technologies that change continually, constantly spraying etc. Fall is a almost 2 month marathon. As you get older just not as much fun. I am 61 and always thought I would farm until I die, but age has away of changing things. I could see myself just being a tractor driver for a couple of weeks in the spring and a part time guy in the fall. My dad never had any hobbies and I don’t want to end up same way. Grandchildren have really been a life changing deal here. Sometimes pretty easy to think owned acres times so much rent looks like a alternative, no stress, Taking a week or two in the fall and just taking a drive with wife to watch the leaves change is on my bucket list. Always was fully employed year around so looking at some down time. Don’t want to go to doctors office and find out that my retirement is only a couple of months and that is it.
All that said, don’t want to retire and do nothing. Have to to do something. Couldn’t sit in Arizona for three months, I would go nuts. Other issue is once you walk away, no going back so big decision. We have family that would take over so I guess my plan is to just slowly shrink my acres down over next 3-10 years, depending on health etc so that I have purpose but ability to leave for a couple of weeks or months. If I had no kids or family, I would get out now as I am not as optimistic longer term. I see rough times ahead in ag economy plus government trying to have a lot more control.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)