AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why did it take 50 years?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dan_wcIN
Posted 2/9/2008 11:33 (#305361 - in reply to #305111)
Subject: Re: Why did it take 50 years?

It made a Crop
I never figured out why Deere put the engine beside the Cab. They had it right with the 40 - 105

Gleaner put the Cylinder down front in the Fordson Mounted Machine. And IMO stuck with that design idea on SP models.

Other sp combine designs seemed to stick with Thrashing Machine design. They didn't think to move the cylinder location. A feeder chain in the throat has never made sense you me. Then go back to all the models that had the feeder chain throat as part of the header. Why? I can think of a design idea where multiple throats could have a place. But then we're back to a down front Cylinder/Rotor. Again

It'd be interesting to know what ideas the Engineers had that didn't get past a drawing on paper. I've come across several when I've done patent searches.

There's a lot cost involved in proving ideas and then making design changes. Retooling a factory?

All the designs that made it to production got/get the job done. "There's more than one way to skin a cat". I'd say that old saying applies here.

I'm a Combine Geek. I like studying there designs. I don't seriously want to get into color wars about them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)