AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

limousin calves??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jackND
Posted 12/19/2007 19:51 (#264184 - in reply to #261957)
Subject: RE: limousin calves??

Interesting thread. I have a good perspective on Limmi cattle. Now first I'll say that all cattle breeds(as other posters have noted) have wild animals. The way they are handled means alot. My Father-in-law started a cow herd back in the early 70's buying red angusX Hereford cross. Excellent whiteface cows with good milk, he put Limmi bulls on them. Raised fantastic calves, in fact one of the country's top Gelbveih breeders bought his hfrs for a few years as a base for his Gelb herd. Go figure. In a dream to sell bulls and have a purebred Limmi herd, F-i-L kept breeding those RWF cows and diluting the red angus and hereford out of the cows. As the years went by, the limmi cows got bigger, wilder, and more hi-strung. Calf wt's actually went down. They were so wild and mean, both Fat-in-law and Mo-in-law were put in the hospital on several occasions from being taken at calving times. My wife wouldn't let our kids help at branding's, and his neighbors always found something else to do. Then he had the bright idea to cross them with Salers. Not a good idea. One of the Happiest days in my life was when those cows went down the road, 350 miles away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)