AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

limousin calves??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 12/17/2007 19:43 (#262687 - in reply to #261957)
Subject: RE: limousin calves??

Kansas
You and lil bro can have your limmy's.......I don't care for the attitude they have. I agree, shoot lil calves out and no problems. Never had to drag the puller out for one of his limmys. Not even the first time heifers. Attitudes though? Whoooo........boy. Not near as nutty as those damn chi's but they are still a touchy bunch. Decent to fair milkers. I never seen a Limmy bag worth bragging about. I think thier ultimate downfall has to be that attitude. Also, seems to me like his are all a little light framed when it comes to thier legs. They don't stand on the substance of bone like your other beef breeds.

As for the angus. I don't know if I can answer your question. We do crossbreeding but the only thing I can think of is if you stay black bulls with your black cows you will always have purebred heifer calves that you can save off of them. Instead of using another breed to induce hybrid vigor then they can start using f1 crosses and perhaps there is a trait they gain with that route. I do not know for certain. Just an educated guess looking across the fence.

I dont' know when this "angus beef" craze is ever going to phase out. It's going to take a highly loved institution or individual to associate some crazy thing like cancer or similar to change America's viewpoint and psyche on this one I'm afraid.

No reason you cannot split your herd and run a two breeding operation. Might take a little more planning on your part but you can always run the top end limmy's with your limmy bull to try and produce your keep heifers you want for the operation and then run a red angus bull with the others to try and induce some hybrid vigor and then also be able to sell into the angus beef only retailers.

I personally stay away from charlois for a few reasons. The white makes them harder to find in snow storms. I have heard of sunburning issues with them with that white hair and I have also heard of some speak of worse fly issues and eye problems because of the flys because of their color. I am not going to say this is gospel and take it with a grain of salt because I am sure there is a char advocate that will come on here and tell you it is all bunk but I have heard it enough from enough people that I choose to believe it. Not to mention, the charlois doesn't have a beef program like the angus people that pay a premium on grade and yield if you go that route.

Just do what is going to put more jingle in your pocket. I don't make the market, Just roll with the punches of what the people think they want. Personally, me, I don't mind fattening the slick backs and putting them in the freezer. Rat tails, slick tails, whatever term you have heard. They eat just as fine to me. I'll readily admit though, havnt' seen one of them come through the chute for some time. Apparently got that gene all culled out.

At any rate, FWIW........Just some thoughts and food for thought.
Rich
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)