AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

limousin calves??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 12/17/2007 20:33 (#262739 - in reply to #262733)
Subject: Re: limousin calves??

Kansas
When we first started crossing angus with our simmy and herefords we occassionally came up with what they called a "rat tail" or a "slick back". Theres a half dozen terms for them all over the salesbarns.

Basically they are a gray in color and just as described. The hair is slick looking and they don't grow out bushy and thick like the other calves hair in winter conditions and the tail reminds you of a rat tail. The hair is so close to the hide it looks slick and there is no heavy stranded hair at the end of the tail to speak of.

They don't gain as readily as the other calves and buyers will always discount them when they come in the ring and have them sorted off and weighed seperate. At the beginning the first gripe was the meat wasn't as good. Bunk! That was a flat faced lie. Next was the complaint they don't finish at the desired weight. Another crock, just takes longer unless they are one that has stunted growth.

We had some that would gain as decent as the rest of the herd. As a norm I would say most don't though. The meat quality is as good as the best black steak you could ever put against it IMHO. Also, you can get them to the 1250 lb mark if you so desire. Your just not probably going to get there with the average of them as you will a "normal" looking crossbred.

I'll have to do some looking on the net and see if I can find you a pic of one. They are very telltale unique and once you've seen one you will always be able to spot them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)