AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The future of agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 4/30/2011 09:43 (#1753652 - in reply to #1751091)
Subject: RE: The future of agriculture

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Jim I am considered one of those MID size farms. I CAN compete with the big boys, if fact probably have a lower cost of production then some big boys.
I am OVERHORSE POWERED and loving every minute of it. Can't think of a single tractor that I ever bought thats not worth more than I paid for it plus I got the tax deduction and enjoyed having nicer tractors. So if the equipment I bought doesn't depreciate is there a cost?? Maybe batteries and oil and tires.

Not all BIG farms are efficient, if they don't market correctly they don't do well.
Marketing IS more important then saving 2$ on fuel or 20$ on fertilizer by strip tilling.

Just because I don't strip till doesn't mean I am not thinking outside the box. I have implimented VRT for fertility, utilize manure in an effieceint way, utilize yield monitor to check results and overlay with fertility maps, I also run various test plots on variety selection on my own farms and dealer farms.
Just variety selection and marketing alone has given me great profits.
I also see negociating skills with suppliers and land lords as keys to profits also.
I am a member of SW MN farm management, have been since I started farming. I sit down with my local farm management instructor many times a year and we compare my operation to others. I SEE the general picture.
Farming is much more complicated than just "tillage methods". If I had to rate the top ten things that could make me more efficient ,tillage method would be way down on my list.Marketing would be first. Variety selection is second.
You sell tillage equipment, I would not expect you to not expand on those priciples.

I am only resposible for what I said, Not for what you understood or how you interpeted my words !!!

Edited by Mlebrun 4/30/2011 10:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)