AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The future of agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GangGreen
Posted 4/28/2011 22:40 (#1751438 - in reply to #1750969)
Subject: RE: The future of agriculture

Eastern Iowa
We're all in commodity agriculture, guys. That means whomever provides the best product at the lowest cost is going to profit the most, because there isn't much significant difference between the products we grow or raise to sell. I think that points toward more consolidation over time.

But you know what? Everyone's farm is different. No BTO would even sniff around this place, it's functionally impossible for them to farm it well. It's steep, small fields, and not as productive as ground a bit further west of here. Hell, I can barely do it, 6 rows at a time. But I can make that higher labor cost offset with some lower land cost and do OK. I also diversify my operation: sell livestock, raise calves, sell grain bins.

There will always be niche markets, but they are just that. Niche. We can't all expect to be able to market direct to consumers, or develop a private label. But there is opportunity there for those that can.

My advice is to always be looking out for a new opportunity, and take them when you get the chance. I passed up on opportunities when I was younger because I was afraid to flop at things I tried. But I've learned that nobody is going to hand you success, I have to chase it if I want it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)