AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The future of agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Douglas
Posted 4/29/2011 14:31 (#1752458 - in reply to #1750969)
Subject: Re: The future of agriculture

Central North Carolina
I don't think there has been a time in our history when agriculture was going so good while the rest of the economy is going so bad. If you are not optimistic how you never will be. Farmers of all sizes should be making money at least on the grain and cattle side. I went to a cattle meeting last fall when the extension agent was saying to the mostly small cow/calf grower crowd, "we can't continue to do things the same and expect different results". He was talking about organizing small cattle operations to possible sell larger lots through video auction and the like. He was encouraging people to consider the BQA sales and the graded calf sales. All you heard was a bunch of belly aching about how if I were large I could do all these things. Made me sick to my stomach to hear guys too lazy to do the basic stuff like vaccinations. And yes i am a part-time farmer with day job. No one in our area can make a living with a small cow operations. That has been the case for many years. Around here most are former tobacco farmers who are thrilled to have a couple chicken houses under contract with the big guys so they can keep the bills paid.

Edited by Douglas 4/29/2011 14:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)