AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The future of agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/28/2011 22:12 (#1751356 - in reply to #1751308)
Subject: RE: The future of agriculture

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Matt, with all due respect your post is an example of what I am talking about above.

20" corn was tried and failed in the 70's because certain elements of technology were not ready for it yet.  No till failed several times before RU made it more feasible in many areas....

Technology can make some things that were not succesful earlier more successful. Autosteer makes strip till much more feasible. Many more examples.

And yes I am familiar with NASCAR although I am more of a fan of the open wheel Indy cars.

Another thing to like about agriculture is that there is just no ONE single way to be successful in it. If you are happy and able to make a living doing it the way you are then by all means do things the way you feel they should be done.

I have seen farmers and even father/son operations where both are successful but do things differently.  However I think there is something telling when a few people feel the need to constantly criticize anything a bit out of the mainstream way of doing things. 

This is unfortunately common in rural ag areas - I have had customers in full tillage areas tell me they were criticized by others IN CHURCH for the way their "trashy" fields look. you know the coffee shop epithet: "he's gonna go broke" usually spoken out of earshot of the subject who is doing things a little different than others in the area.

But differences also make the world a more interesting place. Hardly ever a dull moment in Ag, especially this spring! All the best to you -

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/28/2011 22:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)