AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Youth tackle football
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

NDCat99
Posted 3/25/2024 10:18 (#10679409 - in reply to #10678862)
Subject: RE: Youth tackle football

E ND
Definitely valid concerns and the same that our family went through.

The bottom line is that we know repeated strikes to the head can cause CTE in some people, and repeated major impacts causing concussions are even worse over time. This is in all life activities, not just sports or specifically football.

That being said, a well-run and coached youth tackle football program following the most current USA Football protocols for tackling, engaging blocks and everything else combined with a conservative approach to head injuries (taking kids out of competition for x days minimum plus y days from last symptoms (headache, nauseau, focus/balance) goes a long ways to keep the game safe. We don't coach "head in front" tackling anymore, it's all head up and behind and roll. Same with blocking, head up. When I played 25yrs ago it was a badge of honor to have the most scarred up helmet, we don't encourage that now.

Also - I've coached both flag and tackle football and I'll say flag football is more prone to head injuries (just like soccer) than tackle football. More uncontrolled, unintentional collisions that aren't protected by a helmet and the speeds are overall faster with less lineman, no blocking, quicker skilled position players not slowed down by gear.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)