AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Youth tackle football
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

timis
Posted 3/24/2024 22:46 (#10678862)
Subject: Youth tackle football

Iowa
My oldest boy is 10. He’s really into sports, and is one of those kids that’s pretty good at most things he does. This year some of the parents are trying to start one of those tackle football teams in our town. He wants to go out for it, most of his friends have already signed up. Couple concerns: it’s 5/6 grade together, and being a 5th grader he’s gonna be smaller, second this isn’t really affiliated with the school, so it’s not like he’d get a big head start for 7th grade football, especially when all these kids haven’t really started to develop yet. Third, I believe one of the bigger causes of cte was playing at a young age, lastly it’s an every Saturday deal during the fall, games would be 1-2 hrs away (it’s not exactly a slow time of year). I played football (7-12) really enjoyed it - when I graduated I thought it was a really big deal, the older I get, I can’t say I regret it, but it wasn’t as beneficial as I’d have thought. I’ve always told my kids that I support whatever they want to do, but kinda struggling with going out at this age, as full contact. I think about 10 years ago there was a similar thing in town, and it actually hurt the school program because of injuries and poor coaching- they couldn’t get kids to go back out in middle school. Should I let him go out or not?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)